Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Thoughts on the “Whispering Woods” Open House

I recall receiving the notice in the mailbox about the open house for the “Whispering Winds” Wind Farm Project. I had to laugh at the name “Whispering Woods”, as I knew the noise from the wind turbines would sound more like “Whooshling Woods”.

Well, it appears that the job of the wind farm developer is to sell the idea of wind farms with pretty posters and sales pitches, without mentioning the facts and the negative impacts of wind turbines. Important questions I had were quickly answered and then the talk diverted back into more marketing that had my head spinning. I also learned that if I had an extra $10,000 lying around I could invest in the company.

On an unrelated note, you may recall old stories of snake-oil salesman who would come into town, selling their product guaranteed to cure all ills. By the time people realized they had been duped, the snake oil salesman was long gone and off to the next town. Even today, most marketing is less than honest. When something sounds too good to be true, it most often is.